Thursday, January 05, 2006

"Sleep is pain's easiest salve."

-- John Donne, "The Storm"


I am wiped out; not a good way to begin the year or month or anytime really. I have been averaging 2 1/2 -4 1/2 hours of sleep for the last 4 months and it is doing my head in. I manage to do everything I need to do but run out of steam for the things I want to do. I've had trouble getting to sleep since I can remember ( from elementary school) but now I can't seem to stay asleep.

At first I thought it was due to the 'fun in the Fall'. Then, when that went awry, I thought it was due to the stress etc. of that. Now I wonder if it is something more? Maybe I am reaching old age sleep patterns at a young age.

It is probably a combination of all of those things with a dose of the rest of life thrown in as well. I just wonder how long I can go on like this? Or if I have just gone through a complete revamp of my pattern and need to get used to the new one? I just hope it doesn't lead to a crack up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yer gonna get no comments until you make them easier to see how to click... It's a little tricky.

Nice layout. I never saw your old site till today anyhow, but that's because I'm shallow and never go surfing blogs.

I am, ironically, having troubles sleeping, but unlike you, I know why: Sugar. I bought Chipits yesterday and they're keeping me up. I don't usually have a lot of sugar, despite being a little overweight, so it's fucking me up. After this, I'm dumping the stupid things in the garbage.

One of the major things that can affect womens' sleep patterns is calcium-magnesium, in a 2-1 ratio pill. If you don't already, start taking 1,000mg or so an hour or two before bed. After a few nights you might find yourself in a slightly more solid sleep pattern.

Either way, best of luck with that.

Hope 2006 is filled with many things, including lots of long stretches of dreaming. Take care. :)

Anonymous said...

i should try the cal mag again; see if it helps this time.

thanks steff.

Anonymous said...

i'm a bad sleeper too. still, you get used to it after a while... tried melatonin yet?

Anonymous said...

I have tried melatonin but since I have such a crazy sleep schedule I can't use it regularly or I get to switched about. I need something that just helps generally :)